Student ARG in Play Testing
"Are You Ready For the Real World"
by Jess Dudas, Caden Adam, Jan Michael Salaza, and Olivia Merideth.
I witnessed the players having a great deal of fun.
The game play started quite innocently, until the players found the first zombified student in the local supermarket. To get instructions the zombies were all tagged with QR Codes… from there it got more and more humiliating… in order to ‘awaken’ the lost souls they players had to perform all kinds of ‘interactive’ tasks… like feeding them from cans, dancing for them and disturbing public places in all kinds of manner.
But there was a serious side to the design exercise:
As the design group stated in their documentation, the aims of the project were to:
- To prompt players to let go of their self consciousness and enjoy themselves
- To become more comfortable around peers
- To prompt players to step out of their comfort zone
- Experiment with new ways to interact with existing tools
- Reveal the power of narrative as a device for transforming people’s identity and interactions within a familiar place
- Collaborate with others to create an exceptionally detailed alternate reality that results in a high level of realism
- Create an ARG with an engaging story that invites players to interact with the alternate reality that the ARG sets.
Group of disgruntled tutors and lectures have decided to start kidnapping lazy students and hypnotising them , creating a small army of intellectual zombie’s that feed of information and studying, these zombie’s are fellow students and as the game player your mission is to round up three missing zombies and break them from their hypnosis spell ,by doing the fun things in life, custom dress ups in public , karaoke in the library and of course the final and greatest event that will break the hypnosis for good…”
A group of disgruntled QUT University lecturers and Tutors have come together with their mutual hate for the stereotypical lazy university study as well as their determination to see this change. Using hypnosis/brainwashing they are kidnapping troublesome students then ‘re-educating’ the students , after returning them back to their daily lives. Student under hypnosis are now fully and solely focused on study and information and doing assignments and required readings- Nothing fun or even remotely entertaining.
A group of Kelvin Grove university students that have started noticing some strange things happening lately as well as seeing many friends disappearing . They’ve taken it upon themselves to find out what exactly is going on with their fellow students. They are recruiting YOU to help them uncover the mystery and save their friends from impending intellectual doom!!